CS1411 - Introduction to Programming Principles I
CS 1411 introduces the C++ language to establish a foundation in procedural computer programming and problem solving.
Announcements / Assignments
Announcements are posted on the class web page. Please check them frequently.
|001||Lecture||MTWRF 10:00 - 11:50 am||PE 118|
|501||Lab||MW 1:00 - 2:20 pm||PE 118|
Attendence in class will be checked every day. Attendence is not a certain percentage of the grade, but may be bring a grade down if to many classes are missed. It is the students own responsibility to aquire the material covered in classes she / he missed.
If, for any reason, you are absent on an exam / programming test date, you will have to notify the instructor on the same day at the latest. This can be done by a roomate, friend, parent, etc.
Attendance at the Lab sessions is mandatory. The Labs and Lectures are mixed together, so if you miss a Lab you also miss part of the Lecture.
Lecturer: Max Berger, firstname.lastname@example.org, CS 306 J
The best way to reach me is to schedule an appointment via email or in class.
- Simply C++: An Application-Driven Tutorial Approach Harvey M. Deitel, Deitel & Associates, Inc. Paul J. Deitel, Deitel & Associates, Inc. ISBN: 0-13-142660-5 Publisher: Prentice Hall
- C++ Pocket Reference By Kyle Loudon 1st Edition May 2003 Series: Pocket References ISBN: 0-596-00496-6
- C++ in a Nutshell A Desktop Quick Reference By Ray Lischner 1st Edition May 2003 Series: In a Nutshell ISBN: 0-596-00298-X
- C++ Primer, 3rd edition, by S. Lippman. Addison Wesley, 1998. ISBN:0-201-82470-1
- The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition), by Bjarne Stroustrup. Addison Wesley, 1997, ISBN: 0201889544
If you can't find the mandatory text book at the book store please get it online. There will be tests over material in the text book that might not be covered in class!
Your programs will need to able to run under one of the following environments:
- Eclipse CDT on Windows with MinGW GCC 3.2
- Eclipse CDT on Macintosh with Apple GCC 3.4 or 4.0
You may also need:
- Winzip (or something similar) for submission
- Microsoft Powerpoint or Adobe Acrobat Reader for class notes
Please note that all of these are installed in the Lab. If you need them for you personal computer you can download the Microsoft software for free on eRaider
FilZip (a free ZIP program) can be downloaded at www.filzip.com.
Acrobat Reader can be found at www.adobe.com.
Installation instructions for Eclipse CDT can be found on my personal web site.
|Tests (2)||20% each|
|Programming projects (2)||20% each|
Numeric to letter grades: 0-59: F, 60-69: D, 70-79: C, 80-89: B, 90-100: A. A higher grade may be given if students shows promise of success, A lower grade may be given if student shows lack of discipline (e.g. many missed classes).
The academic conduct applies, as stated in the "Statement of Academic Conduct for Engineering Students, College of Engineering, Texas Tech University". The most important fact: "If academic misconduct is determined by the instructor, a failing grade shall be assigned to either the assignment in question or to the course grade."